EACC Accomplishments 1978-Present
The East Allegheny Community Council has a long history of actively working for the betterment of our neighborhood through revitalization efforts since 1978. Below is a sample list of accomplishments and current projects that have helped sustain our neighborhood and make it an even better place to live.
Housing - Current house rehabs are occurring at 517 and 621 Tripoli Street.
Traffic - Conversion of traffic lane to parking lane - east-bound curb lane on East North Avenue, between Cedar Avenue and Middle Street.
East Ohio Street Commercial District - Continuing pressure to eliminate nuisance bars and businesses while attempting to attract good businesses through property acquisition and police surveillance.
Property assembly in the 600 block of Foreland Street.
Property assembly in 600 block of Tripoli Street.
Property assembly in the 700 block of Cedar Avenue.
Past Accomplishments and Projects
- National and State (1983), and Local (1997) historic district status
- Deutschtown Square (1984) - Coordinated sale of land, selected developer, and obtained URA funding for 32 single-family townhouses with integral garages.
- Rezoned area South of East Ohio Street from R4 (Multiple-unit) to R2-T (2-unit) (1988). Then, with implementation of new zoning code, rezoned entire residential area to R1A-VH (Residential, single-family, attached, very-high density) (2002).
- 404 Cedar Avenue (1985) - Facilitated sale of fire-damaged rooming house and obtained URA funding for conversion to 6-unit condominium.
- The Priory (1986) and Grand Hall (1995) - Marketed sale of buildings, aided funding for restoration, aided in obtaining parking from PennDOT.
- House restorations:
- 508, 510, 513, 515, 519 and 521 Avery Street (1989)
- 611 Lockhart Street (1996)
- 910 Middle Street (1996)
- 606 and 612 Lockhart Street (1998)
- 410 Foreland Street (1998)
- 606 Suismon Street (1998)
- 1300 James Street (2001)
- 415, 508, 510, 512, and 518 East North Avenue (2001)
- 420, 422, and 424 Tripoli Street (2001)
- 1008 Middle Street (2001)
- 810 Cedar and 811 Moravian Way (2001)
- 416, 418, and 420 Pressley Street (2001)
- 416 Suismon Street; 907 James Street; 414 Tripoli Street (2005)
- 517 and 621 Tripoli Street (2009)
- New housing
- 520, 522, 524, 526 Avery Street (1993)
- 612 and 614 Avery Street (1996)
- 912, 914 and 916 Middle Street (1996)
- 1000, 1002, and 1004 Middle Street (2001)
- 414 and 525 Suismon Street (2001)
- Commercial restorations: The Hollander Building (1986) and The Brewery (1988)
- Zoning battles. Click for a more detailed list of zoning battles won.
- Schellhaas Funeral Home parking lot- Use of residential land for commercial parking (1985-90).
- Lockhart Tire Company - Expansion of non-conforming use (1986).
- Lockhart Tire Company - Undesirable changes to approved redevelopment plans (1989-94).
- Magovern Medical Offices - Proposed rezoning of residential land to commercial use (1988).
- Wheeler's Paint parking lot - Use of residential land for commercial parking (1993 - present) .
- MPCGS parking lot - Use of residential land for commercial parking (1993 - 2008).